Friday, January 25, 2008

Detention Center

So I survived my first day at the detention center. I was more worried about the paperwork and the idea of the first session with the client more than anything, what to say and what not to say; how to introduce myself and art therapy. It is a little easier with the 3 and 5 year olds... But it went well, and I don't think that I did any permanent damage... But anyway, we did the experiential (sort of though it got modified as we went) that I learned yesterday abstracting emotions. And I decided to draw with my client since their was some apprehensions with using the materials. And this is mine...



So this experience was interesting for me because it was the first time with a more adult (though still an adolescent client) and because I was making art beside them, and not just scribbles. It was an enlightening experience and I am looking forward to working with them again tomorrow. I am going to try to get in the habit of making an art reflection every day when I come home after seeing clients, in order to process the joys and frustrations for myself. We'll see how that works and how much I get to share. But I definitely felt that working with the client allowed me to not show my anxieties as much...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails